Kuttanadan Duck Curry (Thaaravu Curry) RecipeSubmitted by: CHACKO VARGHESE | Date Added: 23 Apr 2015
Listed in: Chicken and Poultry
Duck - 2 kg
Corianderpowder - 2 1/2 tbsp
Red chilly powder - 1 1/2 tbsp
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Ginger paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Garammasala - 1 tbsp
Turmericpowder - 1 tsp
Curryleaves - 2 big stems
Salt - As reqd
Onions(medium) - 6 nos
(cut into thin slices)
Coconutoil - 1/2 cup
(important to get the “nadan” taste)
Potato (medium) - 2 nos
(cut into wedges or round slices and fried)
1. Skin the duck and make sure there is not much fat left, on the duck.
2. Cut the duck into medium pieces and wash and soak them in a generous amount of salt and turmeric powder. Keep it for a while.
3. Heat half a cup of oil in a pressure cooker.
4. Add onions and sautT them until slightly brown in colour.
5. Lower the heat and add the ginger garlic paste and peppercorn (whole or crushed) and sautT.
6. Make a paste of the coriander powder, chilly powder, garam masala and salt and add them to the onion mixture and sautT them until the oil separates.
7. Wash the meat in water and squeeze out the excess water or strain it for 5 minutes.
8. Add the meat to the masala and cook on low fire, until the water begins to separate. This should take about 10 minutes.
9. The water should be enough to cook the meat. If not, add about 1 to 1 + cup of hot water and pressure cook until you hear about 3 to 4 whistles, on high heat.
10. Lower the flame and keep it for another 10 minutes.
11. :- If you are making in an open vessel, it¦s important to cook on medium heat for first 15 minutes and then again on low heat for another 20 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
12. Make sure that you leave enough gravy.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves and fried potato wedges.
Photos (Click to enlarge) :
Post your comment:
Add your comments.