Photos (Click to enlarge) :
Aviyal Recipe Submitted by: Dinu Sojan | Date Added: 17 Mar 2011
Listed in: Onam Special
Carrots - 3 nos
Drumstick(Muringakka) - 2 nos
Raw banana - 2 nos
Elephant yam - 1 cup
Yellow Pumpkin(Mathan) - 1/2 cup
Potato - 1/2 cup
Snake Gourd(Padavalanga) - 1/2 cup
Ash gourd(Kumbalanga) - 1/2 cup
Achinga - 4 nos
Green chillies - 4 nos
Raw mango - 2 slice
Onion - 1 No.
Water - upto 3/4 th of vegetables when in pan
Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
Coconut Oil - 4 tbsp
curry leaves - 1 spring
Salt - As reqd
Grated coconut - 2 1/2 cups
Cumin seeds(Jeerakam) - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Small onions(Kunjulli) - 8 nos
Green chillies - 3 No's
Curd - 1/4 cup
1) Cut all the vegetables lengthwise.
2) Heat a pan and add 2 tbsp coconut oil and add all the
vegetables along with curry leaves, green chillies and onion
and saute it for 5 mints.
- Don't use pressure cooker for cooking aviyal.
3) Add water and cover it with a lid or banana leaf. Add the turmeric powder when the water starts boiling.
4) Add salt, when veggies are cooked half way through.
5) Grind together the coconut, cumin seeds, curry leaves, small
onions, green chillies and a little curd.
4)Once the vegetables are cooked, add the ground paste.
5)Cook Aviyal till the raw coconut is cooked.
:- Do not over cook the Aviyal, as the whole mix will dry up.
6)Once Aviyal is cooked, add coconut oil mixed with three crushed shallots and fresh curry leaves and mix well.
:- You can add tamarind instead of curd to make Aviyal.
:- Serve Aviyal with hot rice
Post your comment:
This recipe has 0 pictures.
Add your comments.