Photos (Click to enlarge) :
Sambar (Onasadhya Recipe) Recipe Submitted by: maveli | Date Added: 11 Aug 2009
Listed in: Onam Special
1. Vegetables Mix - 4 Cups (Cut into small pieces)
Choose whatever vegetables you have from the following list
Vazhakka (Green Plantain)
Vendakka (Okra/Ladys Finger)
Ash Gourd (Kumbalanga)
2. Sambar Parippu (Toor Dal / Lentils) - 1 Cup
3. Chuvannulli (Shallots) - 4
4. Green chillies - 2 (Chopped)
5. Tomato - 1 Small (Chopped )
6. Puli (Tamarind) - one small ball
7. Coriander leaves (Cilantro Leaves) - A few
8. Kaayam (Asafoetida) - a pinch
9. Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
10. Dry Red chillies - 3 (Cut into small pieces)
11. Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
12. Salt - As Required
13. Oil - 4 TBSp
14. Sambar Masala Powder - 2 TBSp
1. Thouroughly wash and cook the Toor Dal (Parippu) in a pressure cooker, adding enough water, salt, half teaspoon of oil and turmeric powder for upto 3 whistles.
2. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water and then squeeze and take the extract from it.
3. When the dal is done, remove the lid and add the cut vegetables, chopped tomatoes, green chillies, tamarind extract, asafoetida, Sambar Powder and stir well.
4. Cook (without pressure) until the vegetables and dal are well cooked adding water if needed.
5. Check for salt and add if needed.
6. Add chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 2 more minutes then remove from flame and keep aside.
1. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
2. Add the chopped shallots, red chillies and curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes
3. Add this to the sambar and mix well.
Post your comment:
This recipe has 0 pictures.
Add your comments.