Malabar Chicken Biryani RecipeSubmitted by: Rose Mary | Date Added: 26 Jul 2009
Listed in: Rice, Noodles, Pasta, Breads
Chicken - 1 Kg (Large Pieces)
Rice - 3 Cups
Onions Finely Chopped - 1 Cup
Garlic - 4
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Curd - 1/2 Cup
Tomato - 1 (Chopped)
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 TBsp
Garam Masala - 1 Tsp
Chilli Powder - 1 TBSp
Green Chilli - 5
Cinnamon - 1 small stick
Cardomom - 5
Cloves - 5
Poppy Seeds - 1 Tsp (soak in water for 10 minutes)
Rose Water - 3 TBSp
Saffron - A pinch mixed in water
Coriander Leaves - A small bunch
Mint Leaves - A small bunch
Lime Juice - 2 TBsp
Ghee or oil as required.
Cashew - 10
Sultana grapes (raisins or dried grapes) - 10
Boiled Eggs - 4
Marinating the chicken
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder and salt for 15 minutes
Preparing the Rice
1. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes and then drain the water.
2. Heat 2 tablespoon ghee in a vessel and add cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and saute for 3 minutes.
3. Add the drained rice and fry for another 10 minutes.
4. Add 5 Cups of water (the measurement for adding water is for 1 cup of rice add less that 2 cups of water)
5. Add salt and lemon juice..
6. Cover the lid and cook until the rice is properly cooked and all the water is absorbed.
7. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the lime juice.
8. Spread the rice into different plates or a flat vessel and allow it to cool.
Preparing Malabar Chicken Biryani
1. Grind together Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilli and Poppy seeds soaked in water and keep aside.
2. Fry the cahews and raisins in ghee separately. Keep them aside in a plate. In the same oil fry 1/4 cup of onions till golden brown and keep aside. These are for garnishing the biriyani.
3. Shallow fry the marinated chicken pieces in the same ghee. Keep aside.
4. Now heat another vessel and add ghee or oil according to your liking. Saute rest of the onions for 3 minutes.
5. Add the ginger garlic and green chilli paste, chopped tomatoes, remaining chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. (Alternatively you may add biriyani masala). Add the curd. Stir well and add the fried chicken pieces. Cover and cook in medium heat till chicken is almost done and gravy is thick.
6. Take a big thick bottomed veseel. Add some ghee and spread half of the chicken mix.
7.Add some coriander leaves, mint leaves and sprinkle a little rose water and saffron water. Add some of the cashews raisins and fried onions.
8. Now add half of the rice in a layer.
9.Repeat steps 7 and 8.
10. Cover the lid and cook in very low heat for about 15 minutes so that the flavours blend in.
11. Biriyani is ready to be served with boiled egg, pappadum, pickle and salad.
Photos (Click to enlarge) :
Post your comment:
This recipe has 0 pictures.